Paula

Tuesday, May 05, 2009

Flipping The Script is Top Shelf

Urban Reviews gave Flipping The Script five out of five stars and bestowed it the Top Shelf honor.



[insert applause here]

Yes, I'm pleased/proud of the honor and good review. As an author I reserve the right to adore every good review and ignore every bad one.

And while we're in blatant self promotion mode - FTS is the second Del Rio Bay series book to get a Top Shelf honor. That's What's Up! also received one.

Good reviews, feel good.

But I've always said it's balanced reviews I appreciate most. Urban Reviews points out to parents, without spoilers, that the book contains mature content and that it wouldn't be unwise to read the book with their teen.

I don't disagree.

The Del Rio Bay series started out so innocent and mild - a girl seeks popularity. By Flipping The Script we're dealing with sexual orientation and cheating boyfriends.

Woah! Who changed the channel, right?

But I wouldn't have done it any differently. Mina and the clique are freshman, in So Not the Drama. They are innocent. Their drama is mild.

But anyone who has ever raised a teen, been near a teen, mentored a teen, known a teen knows that as those years go by, their drama becomes more complicated and involved. So my series reflects that.

Like Urban Reviews, I encourage - heck, even challenge parents to read the series with or behind their teen's back, your choice. If the thought of talking sex, drugs or rock and roll makes you squeamish, my books might give you enough false bravado to get through the discussion without passing out...until your teen's left the room, anyway.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home