Paula

Monday, June 01, 2009

1,2,3,4, Five Hundred Words a Day

I've been in a creative slump since about October '08. February of this year I jumped back into writing because you can't fix a blank page. But the slump has not yet broken to a point where I feel a raging inferno of creativity within. And that's what I loved most about writing...the irrepresible urge to create. The sort of urge where if you don't satisfy it, you feel it might drive you a teensy bit insane.

So you give in.

Yeah, that.

I'm looking for that feeling again.

Enter Karen "The Novelista" Strong and her 500 words a day summer challenge, right when I need it most.

I've done these sort of challenges before. Several years ago, the Yahoo Teen Lit Listserv did one (I think it was a 1K a day) and it helped me finish That's What's Up!.

When you dedicate yourself to these challenges, they work...or they make you work. Whatever the case, you get the words written.

So I'll be checking in periodically to update on my progress. If I can hang, I can get a huge bulk of my WIP done.

Light a candle for me and send up a flare if you haven't heard from me by the end of June. It may mean I've gotten lost in the forests of Slumpelvania.

Meanwhile, I've gotta post this in a few places in my house and office:

Rachel Balloon, Ph.D author of The Writer's Portable Therapist: 25 Sessions to a Creativity Cure says you should use the following traits to write every day:

Commitment
Risk
Energy
Action
Truth
Enjoyment

Lo and behold that spells CREATE.

Go forth and be creative.

7 Comments:

Blogger Summer said...

Good luck! Hopefully, Slumpelvania banishes you and you find refuge in Progresstonia! Displaced writer not refugee!

10:49 AM  
Blogger Karen Strong said...

Paula, "you can do it!" LOL. It's going to be journey, but I have a good feeling that you'll get some pages done this summer. Good luck!

11:04 AM  
Blogger Paula said...

Thanks for the encouragement, ladies. I'll take all I can get!!!

11:31 AM  
Blogger Paula said...

Progresstonia, here I come!! :-)

11:31 AM  
Blogger Nina said...

Hello! I just finished Flipping the Script and I cried once I read the end. I realized you didn't tell what the next book was titled and when it was due. Is it really the end? I love your writing.

2:07 PM  
Anonymous Tammee said...

Hmmmmmmm, just what I think I need as well. I will start on tomorrow. I'm more than half way through with my WIP and i need a kick in the butt.
Enjoy your blog...

7:06 PM  
Blogger wimpymom said...

Keep us posted to how it's going. I'm still in my slump and the only way I can get out of it is to take a break completely.

9:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home