Paula

Monday, January 29, 2007

10 Questions That Rock GCC Style: Tattoo

Today's tour features Jennifer Lynn Barnes, author of Golden and Tattoo. Jen's in merry ol' England, right now, but she's left Tattoo on U.S. bookshelves to keep us company in her absence. Well, okay she didn't literally walk around leaving them on book shelves, but you know what I mean.

Hey, Jen? Ready to kick it in the Clique lounge?

Let's roll!




TCL: If you could enter your MC into a MTV-style Celebrity
Deathmatch, what protagonist would you challenge and why?


JB: Wow. Bailey's enough like me that I'm not sure she would fare that
well in a Deathmatch. We're lovers, not fighters. Given that, I
should probably go for the protagonist I'd like on my team, and my
first instinct is to say either Morgan Carter from TRUE CONFESSIONS OF
A HOLLYWOOD STARLET
by Lola Douglas (because I think she could do some
serious hair-pulling damage) or Cammie from I'D TELL YOU I LOVE YOU,
BUT THEN I'D HAVE TO KILL YOU
by Ally Carter. After all, who wouldn't
want a spy girl on her team?

TCL: Shoes say a lot about a person, what type of shoe are you?

JB: I'm probably a pair of sparkly flip flops- low maintenance, with just
the hint of a girly twist.

TCL: What type of writer are you: plot-driven or character-driven

JB: My books tend to be concept-heavy (ie "girl who sees auras deals with
high school cliques" or "four best friends get super powers from their
temporary tattoos"), so I'd probably be more toward the plot end of
things, but once I start writing, my characters tend to dictate the
direction the story takes more than anything else, as odd of a
combination as that might seem.

TCL: Word association time. What do you think when I say:

Chick-lit: Sweeeeeeeeet!
Best seller: I wish.
Best Band Ever: Does "nineties pop" count as a band?
Most rockin' author: Too many to name.

TCL: Name the Top 3 books on your To Be Read (TBR) List

JB: I've actually read a lot lately, so many of the books that used to be
on this list are now on the RIALI (read it and loved it) list. The
top three in my actual TBR pile are HERE, THERE BE DRAGONS by James A.Owen, IT'S KIND OF A FUNNY STORY by Ned Vizzini, and SIZE FOURTEEN IS NOT FAT EITHER by Meg Cabot. I also really can't wait for WICKED LOVELY by Melissa Marr!


TCL: If you had anything to do with it, what would the next hot lit trend
be?


JB: Based on what I read (as well as what I like to write), I'd love to
see more contemporary books with supernatural twists. I'm a huge fan
of blended genres, and I'm ready to read the supernatural version of
just about every YA trend. I'd pay big money to see someone who could
pull off a supernatural Sarah Dessen-type book.

TCL: What celeb would you love to see play your MC on the big or small
screen and why?


JB: Tattoo actually has four main characters, and I'd be lying if I said I
hadn't done some mental casting. I'd love Kristen Bell or Hayden
Panettiere for snarky, but protective tomboy Zo, because I think they
both do a completely awesome job on their current TV shows, and I
think that if she was younger, Sophia Bush would make a perfect Delia
(the authoritarian fashionista). My other two MC's are harder casts,
and I might actually go with an unknown for at least one of them.

TCL: Whether it's because you admire their work or adore them, who's your
author crush?


JB: Wow. Hard question! There are so many people in this industry I
admire and adore. At this point, I'm thinking Maureen Johnson. I
just finished DEVILISH, which I loved, and her blog is hilarious.

TCL: What TV show do you watch that you're ashamed to admit liking?

JB: This year, I'm not watching as much TV as usual, because I'm living
abroad, but the usual answer to that question is probably ONE TREE
HILL. It's the ultimate teenage over-the-top crazy prime time soap
opera. Just when I think they can't get any whackier, they do.

SSP: Tell the cliquesters why your book should be in their TBR list.

Tattoo is a book for people who like fantasy and for people who hate
it. It's about friendship more than anything else; the super powers
are just a bonus. So if you're a fan of the traveling pants books,
Buffy, Charmed, Meg Cabot, or the X-men, you should give it a try!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home