Paula

Saturday, January 27, 2007

Mini milestones

One thing becoming a writer has done for me, taught me to celebrate the small victories. Nothing in writing happens in big chunks. Pretty much living hell for someone as impatient as me. But when a profession chooses you, you learn to adjust.

Not only do I appreciate every tiny step taken in my writing career, I've learned to rejoice in baby steps elsewhere in my life.

A battle I've fought for the last 12 years is the Battle of the bulge, specifically the one around my belly. I haven't had a nice flat tummy since the early 90's. The only "good" part of that is that I've been the exact same weight since that time. So at least I haven't gained anything.

Determined to tone it all, I'm always game for exercise. Though, truthfully, once a deadline hits exercise is the first thing cut from the sched. So I'm trying this new technique. I'm not gonna tell you what it is, because you'll laugh. Say I'm a nut case.

It's not a fad diet. I don't believe in them, diets that is. Fads are okay.

I like to eat. And I'll exercise double time before giving up what I like to eat.

It's probably not even new, as techniques go. As I think about it, my best friend in the 6th grade used to do this all the time and swore by it. And LL Cool J's trainer mentioned it in a short promo for LL's new fitness book.

So no, it's not new.

But I will say this - so far it's working.

I've lost an inch around the waist and hips since starting it last week.

In all fairness, the "technique" isn't the only thing I'm doing. I jog three times a week and I've tried to increase my water intake while reducing soda from the menu.

Any one of those things could be responsible for the shrinkage. But I think the technique definitely played a part.

Being a little superstitious, I'll keep up all those things and check in next week with my success. For now, time to celebrate losing just a little bit of me.

Low-fat chips anyone?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home