Paula

Saturday, January 27, 2007

5 Days til ARC Who Goes There? Contest on TRT

Only five more days before the So Not The Drama contest goes live on Teens Read Too.

Are you excited?

I am!

I keep hearing how anti-climatic release day can be for an author. Your book is out there and...nothing else changes. But in five days, for the first time, DRAMA will be available for ten lucky readers...not just to the team at my publisher who love it because they should, or reviewers who are still weighing in but for readers who, for better or worse, will have their say.

Woo-hoo.

And because a countdown wouldn't be a countdown without a list, today I'm sharing my...
Top 5 Favorite Movies


Claudine (1974)- This classic but fairly dated movie (do young kids even know what being on welfare means anymore?) is top notch for the soundtrack alone! I love the sweetness of Diahann Carroll mixed with the gruffness of James Earl Jones - who had one hell of a body, by the way. I love that Carroll's character was the mother of all these kids but she still looked fresh and had a svelte figure, instead of the oftentimes bloated welfare mother some portray. I love that, in the end, they thumbed their nose at the man and chose to make it on their own as a family, believing that love would get them through (so Good Times!). Don't believe the hype that "black" movies didn't come into their own until Spike Lee arrived. Much respect due to Lee, but good movies with black leading roles have always been around.

Legends of the Fall(1994) - Ahhh Brad Pitt with long hair. Mmmmm....oh, sorry. Look, Aidan Quinn, you pompous intellectual ass, you were never going to win against Brad Pitt. The second any woman with eyeballs saw him galloping up on a horse with that long hair flowing behind him looking all rustic cowboy, any of your book schoolin' and fancy talk was lost, tangled in Brad's blonde tresses. Even in the mid-west, bootleggin'era ladies loved the rebel boys. This brother vs. brother tale is seriously one of my all time favorite movies. It's kind of icky that all three brothers loved the same woman...no, wait it's icky that she loved all three bros. Still, my favorite line? When Anthony Hopkins character, unable to speak due to a stroke, says in this gutteral grunt "Screw 'em." Now that thar is some good acting.

The Best Man (1999) - Maybe it's because the movie came out when I was still a 20-something with a shitload of friends getting married. Or, because the main character is a writer struggling with the issue of his fiction hitting too close to home. Or, because there's a young Terrance Howard in there playing a sleaze ball of a friend but who is very sexy when he plays that guitar held upside down. I don't know what it is, but The Best Man is my generation's "Big Chill" only without the funeral or all the Motown music. Okay, maybe it's not like the Big Chill at all. But an enjoyable way to spend 120 minutes for sure.

The Five Heartbeats(1991) - "Nights like this I wish...that raindrops would fall-alllll." This move is a little campy and the storyline is about as original as sliced bride. But ask me do I watch it everytime it comes on? Go on ask me....well, as a matter of fact I do! Confession, I tear up when Dresser (the baritone) says he has to quit because he got his girlfriend pregnant. And they all give them the money from their pocket to show they'll help support him, 'cause they're like brothers, man. ::sniff:: OOoh or when Diahann Carroll (yup, again) smacks the living spit out of Big Red when he has the nerve to show up to her husband's funeral. Dirty music moguls! Oh and then at the end, when they get back togeher at the cook out and Eddie says in this real raspy voice near tears, "Ya'll sure you want roll with ol' Eddie Kane." Okay, I tear up at that part too. It's all so corny. So call me a corn ball.

Winter People (1989)- What is with me and these period pieces? Did I have a previous life in the early 1900's or something? I dare you to watch and not love this flick with Kelly McGillis and Kurt Russell. It's easy to get caught up in the scenary and believe that you're living the simple life in the mountains of North Carolina. You might even get a hankerin' for some moonshine. Sorry bad boys, this movie is about the nice, quiet guy winning out.

I realize there are no new milleny movies in there at all. But I could only choose five and honestly, you know how I am about choosing favorites. It's stressful! I've left out a million movies. Still, I'll stand behind these five.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home