Paula

Friday, January 26, 2007

Ballin'

Watching Coach Carter with the fam, last night, and it reminded me how much I love me some ballers. BTW, why does spellcheck always try to make that word, "balers?" Anyway, there's plenty of reasons basketball is my favorite sport to watch:

- The pace of the game
- Intensity of the game
- Athleticism of the players

And while I like it for those things, I can't lie, I love the baller hotties most of all. Always have. I mean, since I was a kid. I remember crushing on high school ballers when I was only about nine or ten, hanging at the games with my parents. My dad was a local color analyst for the games. So I've been watching b-ball for ages.

In honor of all my dudes who love hitting the hardwood, here are P's favorite ballers of all time:

My hubby - He was my first real-life teen baller crush. Watching him run n' gun on our nabe's court and then later with our high school team started my hormones going. He was a point guard - agressive on the court, known to foul a mutha with the quickness. Thanks to him, point guards are my favorites because they've gotta be fast and they control the pace of the game. Don't you love a man in control of his rhythm? Ha!

Lorezno Charles - Oh yeah, I went old school on ya'll that time! Me and my girl, Nick, would watch college ball like some girls watched soaps. Our fave team was NC State. There was nothing like a Saturday watching the dynamic duo of Lorenzo Charles and Spud Webb (that was Nick's man). They were the Drake and Josh of basketball - Lorenzo was big and husky, Spudd short and lanky. Nevermind they were in college and we were all of 12 or 13, we loved us some Wolfpack!

Larry Johnson - Another big man. But it was LJ's swag - big ol' gold tooth wearing/UNLV going/Runnin' Rebel- that made him one of the baddest players ever to wear a dress. Remember grandma-ma? Even in drag, Larry was hella intimidating. I got to see him play in-person when UNLV played JMU...but I had a little too much of the drinky drink, that night, to remember much of the game.

Allen Iverson - I still remember the first time I saw Alley-I at a Georgetown University game. Dude was mad quick and scrappy was 100% the best word to describe him. His style reminded me of my hubby - so you know I was crushin' hard. Did you know he was an Arts major when he was at GU? I still love me some, A.I., one of the best little men in the game. Philly gets the gas face for dogging him out the way they did.

Robert Pack - Man, I was so mad when the Wizards traded Pack-man. He left the league in '05 after being cut from Toronto. He was a bad dude, though - a solid support player. The Wizards always have made whack player personnel decisions.

Speaking of the Wizards...

Chris Webber - Me and the Wizards parted ways when they got rid of my man, Chris. Another one I followed from his college days. Leader of Michigan's Fab Five, sexy, sexy, C-Webb. Yeah, his knees are bad and he should probably retire, but you try to resist him when he flashes those pearly whites. Whew!

Carmello Anthony - Now that the ballers are young enough to be my...little brothers, I pay more attention to their game then their sexi factor. Still, Mello's a cutie with a tight game just like I used to like 'em.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now you know I had to comment on this topic!!! You know I'm Queen of Lovin the Ballers. ESPECIALLY if they got ink. I love Ballers so much I had to marry one and ended up giving birth to two. To see my hubby in the newspapers would make me lose my mind (to this day, he claims that's the only reason I married him).

The skill level of the guys that play now gets my adrenalin flowin'. I get so fired up at my sons games that I get threating looks from the refs.

My hubby had that inside/out game. He could play the point (his Senior Year) or he could play Forward or Wing. I personally like the Inside game. I like watching them go up chest to chest - throwing that rock down in the hardest dunk you've ever seen. And on defense - Whoo - blocking shots and knocking the ball out of the gym. Pickin' pockets from guards before they even know what happened to them.

Wooo - Offense: crossovers, spin moves, stop & go, give & go, posting up, that first step....Defense: packin', pickin' pockets, getting boards... I could go on and on.

It's so incredible to see my husband's skills in my two sons. Only they've taken those skills and multiplied them by 10. Watching them win MVP year after year never gets old. If my unborn child is another boy - I'm sure he'll be out on the court as soon as he can stand. If it's a girl - as much as I'd like for her to cheer, I'm sure her brothers and father will be a big influence on her ballin too.

My police-officer neighbor made the comment about my sons being outside till late at night shooting hoops and said if they don't go pro after all that practicing they do, she's going to use her tazer gun on them.

My oldest son has been compared to Dwayne Wade because of his slashing ways and how he's not afraid to go up against anyone and he makes his teammates play that much better. He can take over a game.

My youngest son has been compared to Allen Iverson because of his big heart for the game. He gives so much each time he steps on the court and he's a true leader and gets his team fired up to play their best.

And me -- I'm still just the cheerleader on the sidelines all into the game.

SportsMom

11:18 AM  
Blogger Paula said...

That's why we're girls. For us, watching basketball is better than going to see male exotic dancers. LOL

There's a scene in my book where the two male charaters play ball together. And I love the scene because it reminds me so much of us sitting down Diamond watching the guys play ball.

12:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home