Paula

Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Premiering on PBS: Hip Hop...Beyond Beats & Rhymes

The thought of me bumpin' Hip Hop when I'm in my 50's or 60's makes me giggle. It seems so ridiculous. And then...it doesn't.

I'm in my 30's and I still bump it as hard as I did when I was a teen. I don't like ALL Hip Hop, but then who likes all of any genre?

Just like people who were teens/kids when rock and roll was young, I grew up with Hip Hop. Hip Hop grew up with me.

I think it will always be a part of me.

I'm always fascinated with Hip Hop documentaries. Sometimes, hearing about the culture's origins is like watching old home movies.

But, better than a home movie, many Hip Hop docs go beyond the music to explore the fashion, flavor, message and impact of the culture.

One in particular, Hip Hop...Beyond Beats and Rhymes made a buzz at Sundance and will be premiere on PBS,February 20th.

Check the trailer.

Love Hip Hop?

Watch it.

Hate Hip Hop?

Watch it.

No idea what Hip Hop is?

Seriously? It's 2007. Quick, get a television and a radio. Or have you not heard of those either?

Juuuust jokes, people.

Below is a portion of a message from Byron Hurt, the movie's Director/Producer.

**********************************************************************************
From jump, my vision was to make a smart, engaging, bold, and entertaining film that critically examined the representations of manhood in mainstream hip-hop culture, and to reveal how corporate media packages and sells limited visions of black and Latino manhood to the world. I made this film from my perspective: a long-time Hip-Hop head and anti-sexist activist. I also made the film with the truest Hip-Hop head in mind.

Peter Howell from The Toronto Star said, “… this film needs to be seen by the largest audience possible.” I agree. But I want the people who need to see this film the most - Hip-Hop heads – and more specifically, Hip-Hop heads of color – to watch this film when it airs on PBS.

Now, I need your help. From the time I learned that PBS would air the film, my goal has been to bring the largest audience of color – and a huge Hip-Hop audience - to PBS Tuesday, February 20, 2007. Please help me reach my goal by forwarding this email letter to everyone you know who loves Hip-Hop. Let them know about the national broadcast, which will air on Independent Lens one-time only: February 20 at 10 pm! Oh, by the way, it’s free! If you have a television, then you have PBS

I appreciate your taking the time to read this. If you need more information about the film, please visit www.itvs.org/outreach/hiphop. If you are a member of the media and have questions, please contact April Silver of AKILA WORKSONGS Public Relations at pr@akilaworksongs.com or call 718.756.8501.


Hip Hop...Beyond Beats and Rhymes
Official Selection: 2006 Sundance Film Festival
Winner: 2006 San Francisco Black Film Festival, Best Documentary
Winner: 2006 Roxbury Film Festival, Audience Award

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home