Paula

Sunday, February 04, 2007

Ouch, that smarts

I was stalking myself…I mean reading one of my Google Alerts and it took me to G-Blog, the
Girls Life blog.

First, it’s really really…really, really weird to see people commenting about my book. I mean, really, really…really, weird.

The comments were interesting to read. It was fun and exciting to see readers defend their taste in books, recommend alternative reads and proudly announce to the world that reading is something they love to do.

But there was one comment that had my emotions churning. It said that DRAMA sounds like a The Clique novel.

Emotion one:
Pride - It's awesome that there's room at the inn for all types of books. If there weren't we'd be doing a huge disservice to the millions of readers out there.

Emotion two:
Hopeful - Many comments reinforced that every single book out there has its audience.

Emotion three:
Disappointed. And also, I couldn't help feeling a little...shoot, let me just say it, offended.

My offense has nothing to do with The Clique novels being good or not good. They're very popular. So good or bad are relative, anyway.

But I've read a The Clique novel, before, and they aren't my cuppa either - and for pretty much the same reason the commenter doesn't like them - the characters' wealth is almost like a character itself. The shallowness of the characters and the fact that designer brands and how many zeros are in mom and dad's income are huge factors in the book didn't appeal to me.

That's just me, though.

Still, if DRAMA ends up really being like that, I've failed at a "balanced" portrayal.

The comments are good insight into whether or not you can really judge a book by its cover...LOL or even its tag lines.

The clique in So Not The Drama is key. But, unlike The Clique, Drama's story doesn't only center around how important it is to be in the clique. It's about the paths of the friends and how they intertwine and sometimes tangle.

In the end, every book speaks for itself to whatever readers it appeals to. And DRAMA is on that journey now, waiting to find a home among some readers' hearts.

Hey, GL posse, keep reading...whether it's So Not The Drama or something else.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home