Paula

Monday, July 02, 2007

Runaway P

Last week, I ran away from home - just packed a bag and high tailed it out of town.

I had no email access and by the end of the week my phone had gotten wet (darn Atlantic ocean) and was no longer working. It was bliss!

I'm sorry to report that I'm back.

But the week away was just what I needed.

And while running away is a fantasy of mine, this was actually a planned vacation to the beach with the fam.

I honestly did not want to return. Nothing reflects just how hectic my life is like being away from its normal pace for seven days.

There's been talk of people taking time off from cell phones and emails, to take charge of their lives from the gadgets that consume us. In theory, it's a great idea. But I'm not sure how realistic it is.

Maybe I've just been drinking the technology Kool-Aid too long. But long term absence from those things equals piled up work, in my mind.

Still, my week without them was very liberating. There was no withdrawal or anxiety.

It's because I knew once I returned it would be back to the grind:

Sometime between now and August 1st I've got to get back to work on Who You Wit'?, book four in the DRB Clique series.

Cheerleading season officially begins August 1st, but now is the planning period - ordering new unis, gear for camp, identifying potential competitions.

One of the new programs I implemented at the FTJ is see-sawing between success and needing repairs.

Believe it or not, I already have boundaries when it comes to working too hard (much). The week off makes me think I should review them, maybe implement tougher boundaries. But the first thing I saw on my step when we pulled up yesterday was a big ol' box of ARCs for Don't Get It Twisted.

Know what that means?

It's time to do the promo thing for book 2.

Rest.

Relaxation.

What are those?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, welcome back P! I hope you were able to get some rest so that you can tackle the last half of the year. Up to this point, your schedule has been very hectic with the book promo, FTJ, and family obligations. I can't see hwy you have not runaway before now. You really deserve it.

Karen in NC

11:24 AM  
Blogger Paula said...

Do u know how bad I wish for our days as college students?! I'd love to be off right now.

Wait...but we all had summer jobs. Still being a camp counselor was way more fun than my current FTJ!

2:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home