Paula

Monday, August 20, 2007

This I'll Go See

It's no secret that I'm not a big Tyler Perry fan.

Or rather, I'm not a big Madea fan.

Note: "not a big fan" does not mean I dislike the character. So chillax!

I actually totally respect Tyler Perry's hustle. I love that he's taking his plays -productions that were once only fodder for chitlin' circuit theatre- and turned them into big money movies.

I love that his portrayal of African Americans are both heartwarming and cringe-inducing (because yes, some of the more exxagerated portrayals just aren't my flavor of humor).

And while some people act like I'm stone cold crazy because I haven't flocked to the theatre to see any of his movies - I must remind you - I rarely flock to the theatre to see anything!

I'm more of a DVD renting, Pay-per-View gal.

Still, as Perry has matured in his film making (and I'm willing to forgive him for the TBS show which I don't think is funny at all), his movies are growing on me.

I watched Madea's Family Reunion over the weekend and aside from a little predictability and a few too many melodramatic music clips in the background, I genuinely enjoyed it.

His latest, Why Did I Get Married? definitely sounds like something I'd go see and...hold your seats, in the theatre!!!

It reminds me of The Best Man, one of my fave flicks. It's almost like, this could be a sequel to The Best Man - the aftermath of the wedding madness.

Madea is noticeably missing from this film. And I think that's a good thing.

Although his franchise was built on the matronly character, there comes a time to move on. And this film seems to be Perry's way of saying - I reeled you in with her, but the beauty is in my story telling...so listen.

Okay, Tyler, I'm listening.

Check out the trailer.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home