Paula

Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Are you Gossip Girling, Tonight?

What kind of pop cultist would I be if I did not watch tonight's pilot of Gossip Girls?

No, I'm not a fan of the books (oh, they're really crying over losing my one sale, huh?).

Yes, I think that whole rich girls in the city thing has reached its zenith, crossed over and come back in a few new forms since GG hit the shelves in 2002.

And, yes, I do wonder where all the black people are in books like Gossip Girls. What? Are there NO nouveaux rich, African Americans on the Upper East side of Manhattan?

Still, I'll be watching because Gossip Girls represents one of the series that breathed new life into YA fiction. While Harry Potter has been credited with literally keeping the children's literary genre healthy for the past ten years, Gossip Girls is a literary celeb in its own right. It earned its spot in pop culture by having the cojones to reflect that sometimes teens do naughty things without their world crashing in on them.

Dealing with sex, drugs, drinking and cattiness in a way that no teen book dare, at the time, Gossip Girls divided the literary community. Half believe GG is the devil incarnate, while others take it for what it is, a fun, commercial read that portrays a glimpse into the underbelly of the world of young Paris Hiltons in training.

So, yeah, I'll be watching tonight, hoping to hate it but knowing that my addiction to trashy TV may just snare me into yet another mindless must-watch show.

And hell, they knew they were going to snag me. It's lead in is America's Next Top Model - the fashion world train wreck I can't get enough of.

Come on, Gossip Girl with me. I won't tell.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home