Paula

Friday, October 31, 2008

Straight, No Chaser - Stacy DeKeyser

Is anyone else in awe that it's the end of October?!

This was the fastest October on record for me. I'm not even sure what I've done with my month, I mean besides fall behind on my GCC touring.

Next up is a suspense novel, Jump The Cracks, which I find to be an intriguing title. It's about a young girl who steps in when she suspects child neglect. This is especially interesting to me in light of a case, locally, where a mother abused one of her adopted children and killed two others she was fostering. If that's not a case of slipping through the cracks of our system, nothing is. So Stacey's book touched a nerve with me about our nation's flawed child protective system.

Whew, I know, so heavy on a Friday. So let me lighten it up... Stacy, let's talk pop culture!

Which cliché best describes you as an author?

SD: How about the Strunk-and-White A-student? Honestly, The Elements of Style is one of my bibles. My writing style is very straightforward, which has caused some people to comment that it's "nothing special." As if I just dashed off a 200-page book in a few hours. I wish!! In fact, I work hard to make my prose kind of disappear so that the story and characters come to the forefront. Other readers have called my books very "readable," which I take as high praise.

Stereotypes

SD: I'm a total Mom. From my "Good morning, sweetie pie!" to insisting on kisses even if my kids' friends are looking, I could write the book on being a Mom.


Using either television, film or literary references, give us the one or two sentence pitch you'd give film agents:

SD: Jump the Cracks is a great suspense thriller -- The Fugitive for teens!

If you did an informercial for your book, who would be the perfect celeb to serve as the pitch guy or gal? And why?

SD: I'd find a two-year-old boy who could jump up and down and yell "READ! BOOK! NOW!"


Stalkerazzi

SD: It's a good thing I'm not a stalker or else Sarah Jessica Parker would be in trouble because I'd constantly bug her about how she gets her hair to look so good every day (I have curly hair too!)


A lot of times, authors start a book with one concept in mind (especially us pantsters) and end up with a totally different story. For your most current book tell us where you story started and ultimately ended.


SD: My current book (which has no title) started out about a modern-day girl who has visions of the Virgin Mary. It ended up being about family secrets and first love and learning that things are not always as they seem.

You're on a desert island with a cell phone. Miraculously it has two bars and enough battery life to make one three minute call. Who do you call?

SD: I'd call my husband xoxox!

If someone were deserted on an island and came across your book washed ashore, what's the one thing they'd take from it and want to share with the world once they got back to civilization?

SD: They might think about how doing the "right" thing isn't always the easiest thing, or even the most sensible thing. They'd put themselves in Victoria's shoes and wonder what they'd do if they were thrust into her situation.

Which celebrity would you like to see put on a bus and dropped in the desert? And why?

SD: Michael Vick. Those poor dogs. (Actually, anyone who abuses children or animals should be dumped in the desert.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home