Paula

Saturday, November 01, 2008

Hey Look...

The fourth book in my Del Rio Bay series is officially out today!



Man, what a difference a year, seven months, five manuscripts, oodles of edits, and way more promo than should be deemed legal can make.

In March 2007, when So Not the Drama came out, I was stalking the book like crazy, asking people to send me photos of it on the bookshelf and basically lost in a wave of debut book mania. Now, Who You Wit'? comes along and I'm like - Oh yeah...my book came out today.

Before you go thinking I'm all jaded and everything, it's not that. I'm burned out, yes. But so goes the life of a writer who also has a full-time job (many of us), a household to run and a family to nurture. Sleep is a foreign word to us and so burn-out is par for the course.

There are definitely things I feel more learned about. And I'd be lying if I didn't admit that there are parts of publishing (the business side) that has "matured" me faster than I think occurs in most professions. But I still love writing. I'm still in awe when the screen goes from blank to a full story alive with dialogue and description. I still marvel at my edited manuscript wondering who in heck wrote all that neat stuff on the page. And, I still think there's no cooler profession on earth than to tell stories.

But as a series writer, I have the, luxury, as it were, to slow down a bit. After all, the books are out there as a group and they sort of help one another to sell. There was a period when That's What's Up! came out where I could actually see how its sales were impacting the sales of So Not the Drama. Neat to witness.

I have no doubt Who You Wit'? will do the same.

For now, I'm going old school with my promo - I'll be doing a few things here and there, but for the most part I'm going to let the stories speak for themselves. And for those who care, Who You Wit'? got a decent review from Kirkus. Sort of blew me away because many times it seems Kirkus is the toughest reviewer of them all, seemingly hard on books because they can be.

It wasn't a starred review but they didn't throw tomatoes at it either. I'll take it!

If you've been following the series, run don't walk to get the latest book. My girls are growing up and dealing with the hard core realities of dating. Check 'em out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home