Paula

Monday, November 03, 2008

Straight, No Chaser - Kelly Parra

Every now and then I realize how long I've been hanging out on the web with other writerly types. Today is one of those days.

Today's featured guest is Kelly Parra, a lady I met about three or four years ago over at the Teen Lit loop. Her debut, Graffiti Girl and my first book came out the same year.



It's nice to see us both still out there doing our writer thing. Her latest is Invisible Touch and I'm digging the cover, very Outer Limits!

But all work and no play makes for an insane writer. So Kelly, let us peek into your pop culture side.




Which cliché best describes you as an author?

KP: Oh man, would it sound conceited if I compared myself to great writers?? haha! I'll go with Eclectic Toni Morrison because I'm always writing something different!

Stereotypes

KP: I'm a total homebody. From my introvert personality to living in front of the computer, I could write the book on being a hermit and loving it! haha.

Using either television, film or literary references, give us the one or two sentence pitch you’d give film agents:

KP: Invisible Touch is Tru Calling meets an edgier Nancy Drew.

If you did an informercial for your book, who would be the perfect celeb to serve as the pitch guy or gal? And why?

KP: I answered this before and it was really hard. I chose Vanessa Hudgens as Kara, the girl who is sweet but has a inner rebellious side and a younger Milo Ventimiglia for Anthony who is a rebel on the outside. :)

Stalkerazzi

KP: Its a good thing I'm not a stalker or else Johnny Depp would be in trouble because I'd be telling him how great an actor he is every time I saw him!

A lot of times, authors start a book with one concept in mind
(especially us pantsters) and end up with a totally different story.
For your most current book tell us where you story started and ultimately ended.


KP: My book started out about a girl who had a gift and a secret and ended up about a girl who could finally share her secrets.

You’re on a desert island with a cell phone. Miraculously it has two bars and enough battery life to make one three minute call. Who do you call?

KP: Definitely my husband and kids. They are everything to me.

If someone were deserted on an island and came across your book washed ashore, what’s the one thing they’d take from it and want to share with the world once they got back to civilization?

KP: I'd hope they'd take with them an entertaining story with mystery, romance and family drama that made them "feel".

Which celebrity would you like to see put on a bus and dropped in the desert? And why?

KP: haha! Yikes, hmmm. I can't do it. I'd feel guilty if something bad happens to him or her in the future. I'm superstitious that way!
Thanks so much for having me on your blog, Paula!

1 Comments:

Blogger Kelly (Lynn) Parra said...

Hi Paula, thanks so much for the interview! I'll miss you in GCC. :) :)

Congrats on your latest release!!

10:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home